Dear new mum,
As you will soon come to know feeding and putting the baby to sleep will take up most of your time for the first two years of motherhood. Shopping for a baby is quite exciting when selecting funny onesies and pretty party dresses but it can also be stressful when selecting the right feeding and support tools. As veteran mamas we have tried and tested the products so can vouch for them personally.
Whether you decide to feed the baby breast or formula milk is a very personal choice. Just remember babies grow so fast in their first few months, they need to eat really often. Some useful feeding purchases to make our
1. Philips Avent newborn starter set – much needed bottles to help you with the frequent feeds.
2. For mums feeding the baby themselves – trust us the Avent pump store feed set is a lifesaver. It allows you to store milk for your little one and rest a little or spend some time with the baby’s siblings. It is easy to feel trapped if you don’t pump and store, the flexibility to hand over a bottle to the grandmother or even the dad and take a much needed nap was bliss!
3. There is a lot of debate on soothers – and each parent tries to do the best for their babies, hearing the little one cry and be miserable is stressful for most parents so go ahead try the classic soother it has calmed down millions of babies over decades.
4. While it’s recommended that your baby sleeps in your room for the first six months, in a separate crib, there will be times when you’re not in the same room. That’s when a good baby monitor can help. It’s a great way to keep an ear on your baby without rushing in whenever you hear a sound. That way you can let your baby try to settle alone first, which will help to establish good sleeping habits in the long run. The avent baby monitor and night light let us literally keep an ear and eye on our baby.
5. How many of you remember your mum warming the bottle in a saucepan filled with hot water and testing the milk on her inner wrist? Essentially any hot water source can do the same thing, but the best bottle warmer is just so much more convenient. You don’t have to worry about making it too hot or your sink not warming up quick enough. You just fill the warmer with water and turn the dial. When it dings your bottle will be the perfect temperature for your hungry kiddo.
6. It’s important to sterilize all your baby’s feeding equipment, including bottles and teats, until they are at least 12 months old. This will protect your baby against infections, in particular diarrhea and vomiting. A bottle sterilizer is a must have so please add it to your list immediately!
In the end all your baby really needs is a happy and healthy mother who will love and cherish them as they grow, so go ahead check out the Avent catalogue of handy baby products on their facebook page and remember it is ok to get help be it from a bottle warmer or a friend.